Crossing the Country in Caney, KS

The boys cross country team poses with their Tri-Valley League Runner up plaque.

The CVHS Cross Country Team had an overall successful year, from broken records, to runner up Tri-Valley League Champs. After practicing every school day and some mornings, their hard work paid off. The team consisted of Caney Junior High and High School students, along with some of Sedan’s students. 

“Everyone was just, really supportive with each other, positive with each other, building each other up, and helping each other out,” Coach Kristalyn responded after being asked about the team’s connection. 

All of the guys and most of the girls qualified for Regionals. Junior Ida Held, a foreign exchange student from Germany, ran for the girls Cross Country team. She broke the girl’s school record with a time of 21:25, got 6th at regionals, and qualified for State. Ida Held and Zander Shaw were named All-League. The first home Cross Country meet for Caney occurred this season, hosting the Tri-Valley League Meet. 

“It was a pretty cool experience, hopefully we can keep doing it in the future,” Coach Kristalyn said when asked about hosting that meet. Overall, in the eyes of the team and the coaches, 2021 was an enjoyable and successful year.